I am currently a PhD candidate in computer music at UC San Diego. I am jointly advised by Miller Puckette (music) and Julian McAuley (computer science). My research focus is machine learning for both music information retrieval and audio signal processing.
In 2013, I received a BS in computer science from the Turing Scholars Program at the University of Texas at Austin. In 2016, I received an MA in computer music from UCSD.
- The NES Music Database: A multi-instrumental dataset with expressive performance attributes In ISMIR, 2018.
- Synthesizing Audio with Generative Adversarial Networks In ICLR Workshops, 2018.
- Semantically Decomposing the Latent Spaces of Generative Adversarial Networks In ICLR, 2018.
- Exploring Speech Enhancement with Generative Adversarial Networks for Robust Speech Recognition In ICASSP (oral), 2018.
- Disentangled Representations of Style and Content for Visual Art with Generative Adversarial Networks In NIPS Workshop on Machine Learning for Creativity and Design, 2017.
- Dance Dance Convolution In ICML, 2017.
- Extended Convolution Techniques for Cross-Synthesis In ICMC, 2016.
- Extensions to Convolution for Generalized Cross-Synthesis Master's thesis, 2016.
- Applications of Genetic Programming to Digital Audio Synthesis Undergraduate honors thesis TR-2156, 2013.
- (Summer 2017) Internship at Google (Speech Recognition w/ Bo Li and Rohit Prabhavalkar)
- (Summer 2016) Internship at Google Search
- (Summer 2015) Internship at Google Play Music (MIR w/ Nicolas Boulanger-Lewandowski)
- (2011-2014) Mentor for UT Freshman Research Initiative w/ Joel Lehman and Risto Miikkulainen
- (Summer 2014) Internship at Famigo
- (Summer 2013) Internship at Docbook MD
- (Summer 2012) Internship at Qualcomm
- (Summer 2011) Internship at UT Applied Research Laboratories
- MIT Technology Review Machine-Learning Algorithm Watches Dance Dance Revolution, Then Creates Dances of Its Own
- The Verge Scientists have taught a neural network to choreograph Dance Dance Revolution levels
- The Register Yet another job menaced by AI! Uh, wait, it says here... Dance Dance Revolution designers
- The Outline This neural network has learned how to choreograph for DDR
- Vice This Machine Learned to Choreograph by Watching Dance Dance Revolution
- (2017) PhD qualifying examination (pdf)
- (2015) Prototype for MOOC on computer music fundamentals using Web Audio API (link)
- (2015) Mobile-friendly, networked musical controller (demo)
- (2014) Multichannel convolution reverb plugin (screenshot, code, windows vst)
- (2013) OpenGL 3D spectrogram (page, code)
- (2012-2014) Played keyboard for Food Group
Last updated 2018/06/13